Getting Help For Your Child

The early years of your child’s life are critical for their physical, emotional, intellectual, and social development. When a doctor does a standard check, they may suggest that there may be a problem. If you have any concerns, you should seek advice as soon as possible.
Contact the SEN coordinator, known as SENCO, at your child’s school or nursery, or the headteacher.

Ask them if

  • The school believes your child is having difficulties.
  • Your child can work at the same level as other children their age
  • Your child is getting extra assistance
  • You can assist your child

If your child is not enrolled in a school or nursery, contact your local council.
Your local Information, Advice, and Support (IAS) Service can provide you with information about SEND.

Support Your Child Can Recieve

Your child could be eligible for:

  • SEN support – in school assistance, such as speech therapy
  • Education, health, and care (EHC) plan – a care plan for children and young people up to the age of 25 who have more complex needs

Assistance With Special Educational Needs

Your child will receive SEN support at school or college.

If your child requires more assistance than what their school can provide, they may require an education, health, and care (EHC) plan.

SEN for Children Under 5

  • Written status report when your child is two years old
  • If your child is between the ages of 2 and 3, a child health visitor will conduct a health check on them
  • Written assessment in the summer term of your child’s first year of primary school
  • Making reasonable adjustments for disabled children

Ofsted registered nurseries, playgroups, and childminders adhere to the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) framework.
The framework ensures that children with SEND have access to appropriate services.

SEN for Children Between 5 and 15

If you believe your child requires any of the following, speak with the teacher or the SEN co-ordinator (SENCO):

  • A special educational programme
  • Extra assistance from a teacher
  • Work in a smaller group in class
  • Observation in class or at break
  • Help taking part in group/ class activities
  • Extra encouragement in their learning, such as asking questions or trying something new
  • Support with physical or personal care difficulties, such as eating, getting around school safely, or using the toilet

SEN for Young People Over 16 or in Futher Education

Before your child begins further education, contact the college to ensure that they can meet his or her needs.

The college and your local authority will consult with your child about the assistance they require.

Top SEN Schools in the UK

Here is a list of the top SEN schools in the UK

According to Department for Education (2020), over 3,000 additional school places will be created for students with the most complex needs providing support and specialist equipment.